Shawnessy Registry

If you have a corporation in another jurisdiction, and have now decided to do business in Alberta as well, you must register your company with Corporate Registries within 30 days of commencing business in Alberta. When you are ready to Extra-Provincially register your corporation, you will be required to have the following:

  "Name" in Home Jurisdiction

Once you've determined that your corporation must be extra-provincially registered, the next step is to find out if your corporation's name is available for use in Alberta. An extra-provincial corporation registers using its name from the home jurisdiction. The only way to find out if the corporation's name is available in Alberta is to obtain a NUANS Report. The NUANS Report must be less than 91 days old and must contain all 6 pages. Either the original or a carbon copy is acceptable. This requirement is not applicable to Federal (Canada) corporations.


You will also be asked to appoint an attorney for service. This is a person who represents your corporation in Alberta. This person does not have to be an attorney and may be, for example, the Alberta manager of the extra-provincial corporation, or an accountant.


Finally, you will be required to submit copies of your charter documents from the home jurisdiction. These are copies of documents that were given to you when this corporation was formed. These documents must be certified to be true copies by a company official, a notary public under seal, or a government official. They include:

  • A statute, ordinance, or other law incorporating an extra-provincial corporation, as amended from time to time.
  • Letters patent of incorporation and any letters patent supplementary to them.
  • A memorandum of association, as amended from time to time.
  • Any other instrument of incorporation, as amended from time to time.
  • Any certificate, licence, or other instrument evidencing incorporation.
  • All amendments.

These documents do not include:

  • Bylaws
  • Articles of Association
  • Rules
  • Regulations relating to the management and affairs of the corporation
  • Internal regulations


If your corporation was formed outside of Canada and these documents are in a foreign language (i.e., not English or French), you will need an English translation of the charter, certified by a company official or notary public.